You Now Have Greater Choice with Your Health Care
Direct Access to Physical Therapy is Here! The Boston Center for Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine are Individual Physical Therapists that are able to perform rehabilitation therapy directly to patients without a doctor's referral.
Many conditions are successfully treated by hands-on treatment and individualized exercise programs provided by your physical therapist. Painful and expensive surgeries can be put off and sometimes even eradicated altogether. Plus, physical therapy has been known to reduce and sometimes even eliminate the need for dangerously addictive painkillers. Physical therapists are also highly trained in identifying conditions that might need further evaluation or medical treatment and can include primary care physicians when needed.
There are a number of benefits that come from Direct Access.
- Massachusetts is one of 20 states that allow patients total, unrestricted access to a physical therapist. In most cases, no type of physician referral is required for a physical therapist to treat a patient.
- This will give you much quicker access the treatment you deserve. So, if you are suffering from acute or chronic pain, you don't have to wait to see a physical therapist.
- While each patient case is different, clinical research shows that Direct Access should save you money.
- Seeing a physical therapist first, in many cases, will result in fewer overall treatment sessions.
- Physical therapy visits last 30-60 minutes so your condition is thoroughly evaluated.
- If the PT feels that the patient’s care goes beyond the physical therapy scope of practice, or if PT is contraindicated, the therapist must refer the patient to an appropriate licensed practitioner.
- If the patient was referred to the PT, the PT must communicate with the licensed referring practitioner throughout the duration of treatment. The PT must also disclose to the patient any financial interest if the referring physician derives income from the PT services.
Over 90% of insurance companies reimburse for direct access treatment. But some insurance may require a physician referral. Medicare typically does. If you are unsure if your insurance covers direct access, please give us a call.
We value the relationship we have with our patients, and their physicians. We will continue to foster this relationship by notifying a patient’s physician of our evaluation findings and providing updates on the care plan as needed.
We continue to strive to provide you and your family the best healthcare possible.
Please call if you have questions, need care or know someone we can help.